Friday, November 7, 2014

RNAi - NOVA ScienceNOW Video

Brought to you by Jason G.



  • translation: Sponk (talk)
  • 11 comments:

    Siji said...

    This video was so interesting! The idea of genetically altering a living organism while it is still living is so impressive. The video made me think about how impressive nature is and how much we can learn and use capabilities that nature can offer us (biomimicry). Before watching this video, I never knew how viruses actually harmed us. All I knew was that they penetrated our cells because our memory cells don't originally take them as "invaders", they multiplied using our own cells, and then overwhelmed our body with a massive number of viruses. Now I know that viruses multiply quickly by making a copy of themselves in the RNA, which is copied many times, and the proteins that make the genes end up forming an identical virus. This system is so interesting. I also found the idea of the "cops" in our cell to be fascinating. The cops search through the genetic code that eventually form into genetic proteins, and when they see an altered genetic code, they destroy all of the genetic code. The altered genetic code can be from viruses or humans inserting an alternate set of genes into the nucleus. This process of the "cops" destroying all altered genetic code is an incredible feature in our cell, and it is especially interesting when the outcome is a flower turning from one color to another by using the "cops" to interfere with the original gene by destroying it along with the altered gene. The flower in the video went from being purple to white even though the altered genes said to become more purple, because when the "cops" found the altered RNA, they destroyed all of the RNA (original and altered) so the original gene causing the flower to be purple was gone, and the flower ended up with no color at all. I wonder how viruses can still affect us in lethal ways if the "cops" can destroy their altered genes so that the virus can't multiply using the cell. Maybe it's because the "cops" can't get every altered gene.

    Lily S. said...

    I think that this video was very informative. I thought it was really cool how discovering RNAi was an accident. Now we know how to shut down some diseases. Before I watched this video, I didn't know anything about RNA or how viruses infect our cells. Now I know that they send copies of the virus to infect the cell and eventually there are so may copies that the cell explodes and now the virus can go and infect another cell. I thought that the way they used the invaders and the cop and the scribe was not good. I would have liked to see more of what it is actually like when a virus comes in. I think that it is really cool how you can alter the genetics in a living organism. I really liked seeing how they removed blood vessels using RNAi. I thought it was really cool that by putting in one "recipe" you could change the way the plant/animal/human functions and looks like. I thought the outcome of the purple petunia was very interesting because nobody knew that RNAi existed. I wondered how nobody knew about this. I think that they would have done this before. I wanted to know more about this, so I did some research and found out that changing the genetics can cure harmful and fatal diseases. I also learned that some of the flowers were not all completely white. I think this is because the "cop" did not catch all of the "recipes" for purple. I wonder when this discovery will be used all the time by almost the entire population and if it will become a new medicine. I hope so, because I think it can fight horrible diseases and viruses and that it can change the world.

    Jason G. said...

    I really enjoyed this video. I think that most of the things that the concept of RNAi is astonishing. One thing that really fascinates me about this video is that we discovered RNAi (RNA interception) on accident. Back then, the white petunia must have been a very confusing mystery. If you add in more DNA for purple, why would you get the exact opposite? What fascinates me so much is that cells developed a defense mechanism on their own. As Greg Hannon mentioned, with RNAi we could cure some of the biggest diseases known to man kind. For example, with Marty, she developed too many blood vessels in her eye. These blood vessels would leak out blood right in the center of her vision causing a large black spot. An idea that cells had a "cop" the whole time is amazing. RNA changes you from a chemical reaction to a living, pulsing, breathing creature. Once we figure out what all of the genes do, then we could go into even further detail on RNAi. An idea of using RNAi to our benefit is brilliant. Just with Marty's case, they put in DNA for more blood vessels, knowing that the cop would intercept that DNA and cause less blood vessels. It's also incredible that the cop can tell what is a virus and what is not... kind of. The virus has a mirror image of itself. It also has two sheets of "paper". I agree with Greg. DNA does really work for RNA. Just the idea of a "monk" inside of every cell copying down a chemical recipe onto a sheet of paper so that the chefs can cook it up into a protein is amazing. Keep in mind, this is all happening inside of you.

    Siji said...

    I know viruses are not considered living, but I wonder why they are living once they enter the cell and make copies of themselves because they still use the cell to multiply. Also, I am wondering how viruses destroy new cells once they've multiplied in their original cell. After the original cell explodes of too many viruses, do the viruses multiply even more in a new cell or do they have some way to attack the cell and destroy it immediately?

    Josie said...

    The video was so cool. I was amazed that this chemical called RNA actually made us into what we are today. I was just amazed my this chemical that I did not even know that existed. I think that the video explained the science in a very funny and entertaining way. I just want to thank Jason for bringing this to us.

    Jenna said...

    I thought that this video was very informative. The narrator's voice and descriptions kept me intent to see what was going to happen next. I thought that the white petunia story was very interesting but, I was disappointed that we were not told exactly how the flower was turned a darker shade of purple. I thought that the women's problem was very interesting and I hope that in the future we will be able to utilize this function of the human cell to cure huge illnesses.

    Eli said...

    That was simply amazing. I was completely blown away by this. Not only is this is the key to finding treatments to diseases that we have never solved, we can also create treatments to things like the common cold or virus that never "expire". By expire I mean the virus making defenses against antibiotics. Even more, this could be the cure to Ebola! If the doctors could replicate the ebola into a much less harmful "recipe", the genes we have could interfere with real ebola.

    Eli said...

    In addition to what I previously said, the part where they could figure out what each separate cell's function is. I wonder how ebola hasn't been treated by the cops because it is invading. My theory is that the Ebola strains don't infect people the same way the invaders in the video. I believe that this could be the cure to some cases of complete blindness could be solved. Also, I wonder if we could replicate an RNAi
    and put it into a cell that couldn't defend against the invader. Even better, we could combine RNAi with the "chefs". I thought this video was entertaining and I rate it 10/10.

    Jaime said...

    I think that it was really cool how they can just shut down genes, by adding more of the gene just when they do it in the "invader" shaped paper then the "cop" would cut up all of them even though they were the regular shape. It's also cool how nature has been doing this for many years and we just discovered it now. It is really interesting that they tried to make a petunia more purple, and instead they made it white. They thought they did everything right until they found out about these "cops," that are destroying the code that says make more purple and then also destroying the code that regularly makes purple, so there is no pigment being made, so the flower turned out white not more purple, or even purple at all. Then they tried it on a person to clear her eye problem up, and it made it a little better, so she can now see at least a tiny bit better. They said that this new process might be able to cure many more problems and diseases.

    Eli said...

    I wonder why the invader's recipes are mirrored. My idea is that they can only create the mirrored images and have not figured out how to make them one sided. My concern would be that the invaders learn how to make them one sided and the cops become useless.

    Ayden said...

    This video was extremely interesting. I found it fun the way they put it, with the cops and the chefs. I am so amazed about how RNAi works. How when these "cops" see anything unusual, they will destroy anything that is like it, including the gene responsible for whatever it was that seemed unusual. It is astonishing that we can actually find out what every single one our genes do at our will. And this was all discovered just because of petunias! All in all, I think this was the most amazing and interesting video I have ever seen.